From lettuce and carrots to strawberries and apples, we look at the kitchen garden and how to keep it productive year round. Planning, crop rotation, compost, varieties, salads, vegetables soft fruit and trees are all on the menu.
Course cost £95
The course is intended for people who have probably sown seeds and grown a few things but would now like to join the healthy eating world and create a real fruit and vegetable garden. In a day we can give you the direction and help your enthusiasm; you may need 30 more years of practice to get it right and true dedication if your aim is to be self sufficient!
By the end of the day you will be confident of creating your own fruit and veg garden and have the foundations for feeding the family.
The outline for the day is along the following lines though the exact contents will be tailored to the needs of the individuals in the group.
- Importance of a Fruit and Vegetable garden
- The good life. Health eating, exercise, taste, connection
- From little acorns: Sowing seeds, Pricking out, planting
- Garden utilities: water, heat and light
- The answer lies in the soil. Composting & soil condition
- A gardener’s KISS. Keep it simple. Raised beds,
- Six honest serving men. What, where and when and why and how and who. Crop planning & rotation
- Eats shoots & leaves: baby leaves, salads,
- Know your onions spring onions, shallots, onions, leeks
- Full of beans broad beans, French beans, runner beans
- Back to your roots: Beetroot, parsnips
- Hot stuff: Peppers, chillies
- Really fruity. Strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants
If you would like a course tailored exactly to your experience and needs see the Special Days section.